Name & Logo
My two undying passions are Data and the Beatles. Hence the name. I didn't go with the spelling with an 'A', though, to avoid any potential copyright issues. Moreover, Beetles also symbolise certain qualities of data:
- Data is ubiquitous and can be found in diverse forms and beetles are the largest order of insects with hundreds of thousands of species.
- The large number of beetle species poses special problems for classification. Classification is one of the most crucial problems in Data Management as well.
- Beetles are found in nearly all habitats, which is much like the ability of data to reside in myriad environments and technology stacks, prominently the different flavours of the cloud.
Beetles are also known for their resilience, perseverance, and tenacity - qualities I strive to nurture within myself. The logo was designed by the inimitable Hariharan Joghee of FrontHaul, who also helped me generously with the html/css code for the website.
As I understand, any freelancer needs an online presence these days. I've also read that a website looks good on the GitHub page of tech-freelancers even if one is not a web developer per se. Because I wanted the code to reside on GutHub, I didn't go with my initial CMS choices - Wix and Wordpress. One can do this with Wordpress.org but their code is in PHP and I prefer Python. So while looking for a CMS in the Python/Django progeny, I hit upon the formidable CodeRedCMS and its parent Wagtail. Coincidentally, CodeRedCorp will be launching their own hosting on codered.cloud in Q1 2020 and are looking for beta testers (I've registered). For the time being, though, I'm hosting at PythonAnywhere, once again staying in the Python ecosystem.
Over the past 15 years, I’ve gained deep practical experience in Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, Data Governance, and Information Retrieval in various industries including financial services and customer loyalty. In 2013-14, I obtained a Master’s degree in Knowledge Engineering from NUS. The course mainly involved applied artificial intelligence and in this time I developed a keen interest and a proclivity for problems and solutions in:
- Data Storage and the Cloud
- Information Retrieval and Search Technology
- Natural Language Processing and Understanding
- Computer Vision and Image Classification
I'd now like to channel my experience and interests to provide business and technology advisory as well as practical design and development services around Data Architecture, Management, and Governance. I'd like to bring my knowledge of traditional Data Warehousing and Governance to the modern Big Data stack on the cloud, thereby doing what I enjoy the most - enabling Advanced Analytics and Data Science.
Please reach me at email@example.com to discuss your Data Management or Wrangling needs.